2015’s almost done. It’s been a whirlwind year. There have been some awesome highs, and some indescribable lows. Time to put it all out there, so to speak.
Let’s start with the lows.
Wow. Where do I even begin? From the rumors of Hideo Kojima’s employment status, to the reports of their management skills and treatment of Kojima-sensei’s employees prior to the release of Metal Gear Solid V (being demoted to janitorial work, limited access to the company intranet, and even the removing of Kojima’s name from his magnum opus, Konami tops SSB’s list of 2015’s lows. You can’t get much lower than they did. They tried pretty fuckin’ hard.
2. Valentine’s Day
Going on a Valentine’s date with your arm in a sling due to an accident during MMA training sucks hard. And it’s pretty embarrassing. (Sorry E!)
3. Ronda Rousey
Ronda’s place in the UFC hall of fame is pretty much guaranteed. She’s blazed the way for all female MMA fighters in the public eye and there isn’t a damn thing anyone can do to take away her legacy. The legacy however, can be tarnished a bit. And that’s exactly what happened to her. It took 2 rounds for Holly Holm to systematically dismantle the former UFC Women’s Bantamweight champion. 2 rounds and a head kick. She probably wouldn’t even be on the list, but since the fight was anything but close, here she is.
4. The San Diego Chargers
Come on Chargers, you can’t be doing SD dirty like you are right now. Then again, it’s kinda hard to argue throwin’ more money for a new stadium when y’all haven’t won a super bowl like ever. I did learn that there are a bunch of loyal fans that are gonna be mighty sore if/when you do leave. Fans including my legs. My Muay Thai coach threatened leg conditioning days if they leave.
5. The UFC apparel deal with Reebok.
From shitty designs to an apparent apathy for all things MMA-related, it’s hard to suck harder than Reebok these days. How can they release a shirt for a fighter named “Anderson Aldo”? Or a fight kit for a fighter named Giblert Melendez?
And onto the highs!
1. Conor McGregor
He was riding on an 10 or 11 fight winning streak when he stepped into the octagon against Jose Aldo a couple weeks ago. He’s proven every single naysayer wrong (hell, even me). Now, after his 13-second dispatching of Jose Aldo Jr., nothing seems impossible for Conor McGregor.
2. ONE PUNCH MAN
Saitama is a superhero for fun, and he’s capable of stopping most monsters-of-the-week in one punch. Fucker’s gotten so strong that he’s bored. ONE’s webmanga about a bored superhero spawned one of the most visually satisfying anime series ever seen in a good long while. Props to MADHOUSE for animating this series, and you bet there’s gonna be a second season.
3. Metal Gear Solid V
Sure the ending may have been rushed (thanks KONAMI), but this game really was Kojima-sensei’s magnum opus. I loved every minute of this game, and I haven’t even started playing Metal Gear Online yet. The way that the game ended was mind-blowing at best (especially for veterans of the series), but mind-scratching at worst (if this was your entry game in the series, you’ve got some lore to catch up on). The FOX Engine really brought Afghanistan and Africa to life, and didn’t drop in framerate or lag during any portion of the game. Yeah. That’s how you do open world and not fuck up. I’M LOOKING AT YOU BETHESDA.
4. Sony Computer Entertainment
The PS4’s been kicking ass in the market, and they’ve left the Microsoft PR guy saying the classic “Hey we’re in it for the gamers” line. Meanwhile, Sony’s helped SEGA bring the rest of the Yakuza game franchise to the rest of the world, helped Hideo Kojima relaunch Kojima Productions as an independent creative studio, and just been awesome all around. Oh, and there’s that Final Fantasy VII remake too.
5. Rooster Teeth/RWBY
Monty Oum’s untimely passing earlier this year was a tragedy nobody could’ve foreseen. The future of his brainchild was in question, but Rooster Teeth, the production company responsible for RWBY, Red Vs. Blue, X-ray and Vav, and a few other shows stepped to the plate and continued production of the series. Worries of whether or not the series would live up to the standards that Monty put on the series were laid to rest when Volume 3 started earlier this year. Not only has the animation quality vastly improved, the rest of the production also improved as well. They scored some high quality voice actor talent and it shows.
I had a chance to go to the Rooster Teeth panel during comic con 2015 and my Lie Ren cosplay went over really well. I hope to do it again next year.
And that’s my 2015 in a nutshell. Bring on 2016!
We all about that suite life.
FACT: More anime is good for you. Studies show that regular consumption of Japanese media over time decreases stress by 60%. This obviously isn’t a real statistic but it’s good to explore new shows.
I honestly wish Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic was a role-playing game. The series reimagines Arabic legends featuring characters such as Ali Baba, Aladdin and Sinbad. The characters focus on conquering dungeons to gain power and wealth. Along the way, we come to understand the world, everyone’s obsession to be king and why everything can become bat-shit crazy.
Honestly, this show is like Bleach without the ridiculous amount of self-loathing from Kurosaki Ichigo (yeah, I said it). The character’s powers and weapon systems are pretty bad ass and well thought out. Aladdin’s positivity and Sinbad’s confidence make up for most of the doubt other characters cast upon themselves. You can also grow fond of the characters very quickly.
To me, the humor in the show stands out. The show’s plot is serious but the characters aren’t always such. There were a few times where I was caught completely off guard. It comes at super random times but it adds to the viewing experience. Here’s one of my favorite moments:
Did I mention there’s a good amount of fan service? Sinbad is drunk and naked on more than one occasion and the females are… *gulp* well-proportioned. Surprisingly, this also does not take away from the content of the show. The character design will hook you at first, but the story will definitely keep you along for the ride.
THE VERDICT: This show is worth checking out. It has a great balance of emotional moments, sexual fan service and humor. The characters are very likable. Plus, you’d want to watch this to catch up. The second season currently airing in Japan!
First off, thanks to my friends, family, and all you cool geeks that made it out to SDCC 2013. You all deserve a round of applause.
Go ahead, I’ll wait.
Yandere? A Japanese term for a person who is initially very loving, caring, and gentle to someone (or at least innocent) they really, truly like and care for a lot before their romantic devotion becomes mentally destructive in nature, often through violence and/or brutality. The term is derived from the words yanderu (病んでる?) meaning a mental or emotional illness, and deredere (でれでれ?) meaning to show affection. Yandere characters are mentally unstable, and sometimes are incredibly deranged and are not mentally sane, often using extreme violence and/or brutality as an outlet for their emotions.
The Yandere survival guide:
When obsession wins over love and you’ve got yourself an immensely affectionate stalker instead of a girlfriend, you have a yandere on your hands. These are the kind of girls that break into your house while you’re away, hide under your bed while you’re at home, schlick directly under you while you sleep, come out when you’re gone again, schlick again in your bed while licking and humping your pillows, and then proceed to check your messages to see if you’re involved with another girl. They usually don’t have any kind of higher ideal or ethical policy; they sometimes don’t even view themselves as people so much as an entity made out of the impulse or desire to be with their man. A yandere is awesome because it’s outwardly impossible to tell that the girl is completely insane; she has just enough presence of mind left over to maintain a convincing facade, and God help everyone around her if she decides to drop it. If you don’t react well, things could get messy, so in the off chance you don’t want to enjoy the fruits of your yandere’s darker exploits, here are several things you need to take into account.
Remember your objectives:
-Her mental integrity should be kept at a reasonable level and maintained.
-She should still love you unconditionally.
2. Be sure to remind her how much you love her and basically compliment her as you would any women. Be careful about criticism, though, because she’ll probably go a little over the top in attempting to fix this problem, and if she can’t, she’ll try to fix your perceptions of this problem instead. When prompted, re-affirm your hatred of those other skanky, dirty whores. Putting down other people is fun anyway, right?
3. When she starts talking nonsense, she is being put under stress. This stress is based on the belief that you are being unfaithful or planning on leaving her. Pacify her with constant, unadulterated attention and sex. Remember that one of the best things about yandere is that they’re completely devoted to you, so why shouldn’t you return at least some of the favor? This entire fiasco can be summed up in a single line: It’ll be great if he was nice and looked only at me. Yes, only at me. He can’t look at any other girls. I’ll look only at him, so he should look only at me. It’ll only fair, right?
4. Contact with the opposite sex in public should be kept to a bare minimum — the assumption should be that she IS watching. When she’s with you and you talk to other women, she’ll either flaunt you in front of them or discourage prolonged conversation. In either situation you should play along, expressing your undying love for your yandere all the way. In the latter one you should cut off contact as soon as she gives a prompt to do so. Occasionally she’ll become openly hostile to women she finds you speaking with, so diffuse that bomb before it explodes. Female relatives may or may not be accepted by the yandere, though for the sake of her facade she’ll usually ignore them.
5. The yandere likes to do things for you, so keep her busy doing chores that make her feel she is strengthening the relationship. This is one of the best parts about the yandere since she’ll spoon feed you if you ask her to and she won’t even see it as strange.
Now that you’ve won the affections of one of these very, very insane women, you surely want to know how this benefits you, right?
LOYAL: She will never — NEVER — betray you. Even when you’re dead.
LOVING: She knows the meaning of true love like no other girl, or even you, will ever know. Some of the love is for your own good.
CARING: She takes her entire budget of caring and places it all on you. Other people are… irrelevant.
PROTECTIVE: No bad fortune, villain, or evil conniving cheap slut will be allowed to have their ways with you for long.
HATRED: For other girls as pure as the darkness between the stars.
DETERMINED: She will never — NEVER — give up. Even if you end up hating her for it. She’ll never let you down, either.
OBSESSIVE: There is pretty much no limit to how far she’ll go just to get your attention. Once you go yandere, you can’t go back.
BRUTAL: Why should she go easy on those who threaten to steal you away from her?
PROACTIVE: Friends? Family? Better get rid of them before they start taking up precious time you could be spending with her.
DETESTING: Everyone that isn’t you.
Besides a very, very affectionate partner, there are plenty of ways to have fun using her unique features. For example, pick some girl you know likes you, give her your phone number and ask her to call you. Put yourself in a position in which you are with your yandere and open to being approached by this girl. Then confide in your yandere how this girl won’t leave you alone. Count the days until this girl disappears or stops communicating with you entirely. If the yandere decides to kill her rival right in front of you, marry her as soon as rationally possible.
One of the few potential cons that I can see is that intellectual conversations are nearly impossible with your yandere. She can’t comprehend anything outside of the context of your relationship with her. War in Iraq? You are saying you think she’s too clingy and so therefore some cheap slut is poisoning your mind against her. The nature of the universe? You are trying to break up with her so therefore some cheap slut is poisoning your mind against her. It’s okay to participate in activities that don’t involve her, by all means, please do, but it’s very, very difficult to get your yandere involved in anything that doesn’t directly have to do with her loving you. It’s not impossible, but I prefer to keep mine in the kitchen baking or knitting and would rather not provoke her.
Speaking of my own personal methods for dealing with yandere that might not work for some people, when a girl I’ll accept becomes yandere for me, I become yandere for her. That’s right, all that crazy shit. No looking at other men, not allowed to leave my presence for more than 3 hours, etc. I’ll stalk my precious yandere all the time and make sure no other men can get near her. Well, at least at first.
The problem with continuing this practice is that you can’t out yan the yandere. It would only drive her to a higher state of mental instability. Think about it – you’re stalking her everyday. She realizes it’s YOU who’s the third person walking by her to the grocer’s, or getting her car fixed, or chatting with the neighbors as people jog by. She starts wondering, “does he think me unfaithful? But… but that’s impossible. It’s just him I care for – only him!”
Then the attempts to reassure herself begin. More painful, scarring sex play, just to let you know “this body is only for you.” No matter how violent or messy, she does it with a broken smile. The meals become dull as she starts going out less and ordering in more. Minor things she can pick up from faceless stores to show you that she doesn’t NEED other people, so long as she has you. The artwork of herself she leaves in your desk at work (should you bother to show, as you’re so busy being full of her and dumping bodies of the ones who’d dare even glance…). The jagged crying night sessions – tears spilling down her face as she smiles delightfully, her voice full of laughter as she takes on any abuse, just for you.
The moment of broken screaming when she realizes despite all this devotion, you STILL don’t trust her.
And then you walk in one day and find that she’s jammed the biggest kitchen knife she could find into her sexual organs. That tearful, joy-filled face saying, you know, darling, you were right, my thoughts were impure and clouded by other faces, so I punished myself, but now it’s fine. I’ve punished those involved, too, those evil people that caught me in my moment of weakness・
The police will be over in the evening to arrest you both on the collection of bodies in the basement unless you had already prepared an escape route for different but similar reasons. So yeah, you need a cut-off point for being yandere to your yandere.
DOUBLE YANDERE LOVE IS THE TRUEST LOVE.
Ahem. Excuse me.
Point is, give them too much love and they’ll begin feeling unworthy of you; it won’t matter how many times you reassure them that they’re perfect, they’ll constantly feel not up to your love. Eventually they’ll take for granted that you’re betraying them because every other woman is better than them, and shit will degenerate rather quickly. Still, if you treat them badly they will still consider that a gesture of affection, so it’s the same shit. Getting them pregnant may possibly be the correct answer. They’ll focus their attention on your love’s “fruit” and that will wash away many of their insecurities as long as you spend enough time with both them and your child. You’d have to make sure she’s not seeing your son as you though, or things may get really hot, if you know what I mean.
Ah, yes, the question of children, a problem with no easy answer. In general, yandere would make poor mothers, and the child would be at constant risk of being targeted by the yandere’s psychotic episodes. The yandere may very well reject the child and see it as competition. It’s not impossible, however, with enough care from her man. Some yandere object to the idea of children because they see themselves as beings which must not bear new life, but other yandere may be quite open to it, or even feel they would want it as irrefutable proof of your love. Regardless, they will bow to the wishes of their loved one, so it’s something that would take some struggling at first, but will probably work out in the end.
Some extra thoughts regarding the psyche of the yandere:
1. Yandere are not opposed to safe sex, but they are opposed to mechanical means of birth control. It’s not because they enjoy sex physically more than any other girl, it’s because they view sex more as a spiritual ritual in which they become closest to combining with their loved one; she will always demand sex to be as raw as possible. If birth control is desired, they will generally have no problem taking the pill and consider condoms to be a barrier to achieving oneness with you.
2. A yandere will never, ever share you, nor will she accept any kind of rival; to her, other girls are nothing but enemies. Yandere don’t feel the kind of isolation some normal girls might, and so will never believe themselves to be different or special to other girls. To a yandere, other girls have the same filthy desires and conniving thoughts as she does, which is why she loathes other girls so much; she firmly believes other girls are out to steal her loved one. If two yandere met over the same guy, they would launch a war that wouldn’t end until one of them was dead. No mercy, no surrender.
3. The yandere will almost never rape her loved one if they are still outside of a relationship. The yandere will attempt to attract you using conventional means, as the yandere believes from her own upbringing and education that this is the correct method for getting her man. If she knew she could get you by raping you at gun-point, she would do so immediately.
4. I think that sometimes the attraction to yandere is based on the childish, idealized belief that your love can cure her. PFFT. This is DANGEROUSLY NAIVE. “Cure” her? Why would you want that? Her being an obsessive, potentially-dangerous psychotic is the whole POINT. To say someone finds such a person attractive out of some misguided belief they can “fix” them is like saying a “chubby chaser” finds big women attractive out of some belief that he can get them in shape, when really he just really likes the fatties. In all likelihood the stress of a relationship would make her psychosis even worse. Yandere are crazy and there’s no way to make them feel at ease, and if you think you can then you’ll end up with either you or her dead, possibly both.
5. Yandere only ever overstep their boundaries if you’re overstepping yours, maintaining a facade of perfection elegantly – and scarily – up until the point where it must be dropped, and even then, they are often very forgiving, even often coming with warning signs if you look for them. If she’s becoming a nuisance, think of something to occupy her; remember, she likes doing things that will strengthen her relationship with you, so basically all you need to do is give her chores. This is pretty damned simple. Anyone with half a brain can get someone else to do everything for them. This is one of the yandere greatest pros: -20 in sanity in exchange for +20 in homemaking.
6. There is no guaranteed method to stop a yandere, but the most reliable action is certain, definite death, and even that is not infallible even when it has initially succeeded. Do not expect any obstacle, whether it be public authorities, the distance between nations, or what have you, to be able to hold back or contain a yandere: she has all the tools and skills she needs to get to you, and she will focus all that is herself into achieving her goals in relation to you – pretty much the only goals she has. Yandere are resourceful, and the only way she’ll die in any manageable fashion is if she submits to death by your hand or is caught completely off guard. The only way she can be caught off guard is if she doesn’t suspect your betrayal at all and thus hasn’t planned ahead so that in such a situation she can entrap you and force you (or your corpse) into a position where she has the (sexual) advantage, so keep in mind that she may have a trap set for you or otherwise some sort of auxiliary plan.
Anime Conji 2013 is over and done with, and we’re all still in one piece. Except for my voice. That hasn’t come back fully. Before anything else, I’ve got a few shoutouts that I gotta make.
- Team SSB – We did work at our panel, I’m proud of you guys.
- Dai-Conji Dan Staff: Alissa, Jared, Ivan, Gail, and Andrew, you all kept that shit going, checked out volunteers, got booze, and kept it real. Proud of you, team.
- Dai-Conji Dan Crew: You all worked just as hard as the volunteers and then some. Good going.
- Dai-Conji Dan Volunteers: Did work.
- RhythmEmoti#n.net (Lester and Mylene):Mylene is the supreme CAH champion and is evil. Lester, YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
- Venus is ratchet as fuck.
- Ivan Cheong is dope.
- Deanna and her cousin with the dope-ass name, which I forgot.
- Ate Paula and Kuya Todd of PMX, whassup!!
- CJ got all crazy.
- Kamia is hype as fuck.
- Brian Bacsal is the dopest photo dude.
- Richie and the reg crew, holdin’ down that exhibit hall
- Vero, my judo kohai workin’ twice as hard.
- Jabronie Pictures keepin’ it real..
- HI EDWARD SEBASTIAN JR.
- Wesley and Darryl were the dopest room guests. Donald could’ve crashed too.
- Vince bombaclot bok bok bok
I’m a huge fan of K-On. So naturally, I started gravitating back to J-pop once I really started getting into the series. Along the way I heard about this group called SCANDAL. Apparently, they got together in high school and started jamming out. Then they started playing in clubs, and they…quite simply blew up. You might’ve heard their songs in Bleach and Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood.
The group’s lineup consists for 4 girls, each with their own distinct roles.
Haruna Ono (小野春菜 Ono Haruna?) – lead vocals, secondary guitarist (she’s the face of the group and she has a cute overbite)
Mami Sasazaki (笹崎まみ Sasazaki Mami?) – lead guitarist, secondary vocals (OMG HER VOICE IS SO KAWAII AND CUTE AND I JUST WANT TO HUG HER)
Tomomi Ogawa (小川ともみ Ogawa Tomomi?) – bassist, secondary vocals (She plays bass, so she doesn’t really stand out as much, but she’s necessary.)
Rina Suzuki (鈴木理菜 Suzuki Rina?) – drummer, secondary vocals (GOOD GOD YOU ARE HOT WHY DON’T THEY FOCUS ON YOU MORE RINAAAAA)
I mentioned the K-On connection earlier in this entry. Imagine my surprise when I came across this on youtube.
SCANDAL AND SHOKO NAKAGAWA ARE SINGING “DON’T SAY LAZY”. YES.
Anyway, give this group a listen. You won’t regret it.